Home

Oh No…My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Do I do now?

Ok, the first thing to do is…Don’t Panic!

If you know how much chocolate your dog has eaten and what kind of chocolate it was, that will help determine your next coarse of action.Also if you know it’s been over two hours (that’s how long it takes a dog to digest whatever they’ve eaten), inducing vomiting will be of no help. Activated Charcoal (not the BBQ kind) is helpful in absorbing a great deal of the toxins.(You can find this in most health foods stores in capsules, liquid and other forms.

The very best thing you can do is call your local Vet with as much information you can provide. Here are things to know before you call:

  • Size and weight and age of your dog
  • How much chocolate do you believe the dog ate (in ounces, if at all possible)
  • What kind of chocolate was eaten – white, milk, dark, cocoa
  • Is your dog displaying any symptoms – lethargy, diarrhea, signs of pain
  • How long has it been since they ate the chocolate

With this information, your Vet will be able to assess whether you need to bring your dog in right away, or if they will likely be fine and recover on their own.

Although no chocolate is good for your dog…the lighter the better. White chocolate will have the least dangerous impact, while cocoa is the absolute worst and most dangerous.

Chocolate poisoning symptoms include:

  • excessive drooling
  • excessive urination
  • pupil dilation
  • rapid heartbeat
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Hyperactivity
  • muscle tremors
  • seizures

For information regarding other foods that are toxic to your dog, please visit our Other Toxic Foods page.